Using VPN with your Xbox One isn’t as simple as installing an application – here are 3 ways to set up VPN on your Xbox
VPNs are common on laptops, smartphones, tablets and even smart TVs, but they are rather difficult to run on console games like the Xbox One.
There are several ways to set up VPN on your Xbox, but they need a little more work than just installing the application – but if you want to watch regionally locked content or play new games early when they enter the international store, you have to put in the effort
Here’s how to get a VPN up and running on your Xbox One – and see our separate guide to installing VPN on PS4 if you have both consoles.
Why do I use VPN on my Xbox One?
Before we outline the various ways in which you can use VPN on your Xbox One, we must first discuss why it’s a good idea.
First of all, depending on the quality of the VPN provider and the location of the VPN server, you might actually see a reduction in slowness when playing online games. Many VPNs connect console users through dedicated P2P & game servers that send your traffic through ‘hotspots’ between data centers, reducing delays.
Beyond the improvements to your online game, you might also be able to access games that are not officially available in your country.
Usually, games launched on the same day throughout the world will first appear in Australian stores, thanks to time zone differences. However, using VPN, you can fool your console into thinking you are in Australia and get early access to the game. It will only be available a few hours before the general release, but it is enough to download it and even start playing before the clock arrives at midnight where you are.
Oh, and like other devices, using VPN can give you access to geographically locked content from people like Netflix on your Xbox One.
Set up Xbox One VPN through a Wi-Fi router
An easy way to use VPN services on your Xbox One is to set up VPN on your home Wi-Fi router. Now, there are two ways you can do this.
The first option is to buy a Wi-Fi router that offers support for built-in VPN services – this is available online from people like ExpressVPN. Indeed this might be a little expensive, but it’s the easiest way to use VPN on your Xbox and other devices connected to your home Wi-Fi too.
If it’s too much for you, buy your own VPN subscription and enter VPN details manually into your Wi-Fi router. The problem is that depending on the brand of router and VPN provider, the steps can vary, making it almost impossible to provide step-by-step guidance on how to do it.
Our VPN choice out there is NordVPN, and there is a lot of information on the website about how to install it on your router that should help.
Set up Xbox One VPN through a PC
If setting up VPN through your home router is not an option, you can also use your PC to connect your Xbox One to VPN. Before we begin, you need an Ethernet cable, PC or laptop, your Xbox One and an active VPN subscription. If you are the element that VPN chooses, see our best VPN gaming options, but we recommend NordVPN.
- Install the VPN software of your choice on your PC.
- Plug an Ethernet cable into the back of your Xbox One and into your PC.
- Connect to your home Wi-Fi network (yes, you read it right).
- On your PC, open Control Panel> Network and Sharing Center and click Change Adapter Settings on the left side of the window.
- Right-click on the icon with your VPN name and click Properties.
- Open the Sharing tab and make sure that ‘Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection’ is selected.
- Test the internet connection on your Xbox One – if all goes well, you can now access Xbox One services via VPN.
Set up Xbox One VPN through Mac
What if you have a Mac, not a PC? Don’t worry, because MacOS offers something similar to the PC-oriented method above. You will also need many of the same items – Ethernet cable, Mac desktop or laptop, Xbox One, and an active VPN subscription.
We have also compiled the best VPN for Mac if you need help choosing a VPN that is supported by Mac.
- Install the VPN software you chose on your Mac.
- Plug the Ethernet cable into the back of your Xbox One and Mac.
- Open System Preferences> Sharing and select Internet Sharing from the list on the left side of the window.
- From the ‘Share your connection from’ drop-down, select Wi-Fi.
- From the ‘To a computer using’ list, make sure Ethernet is selected. If you use an Ethernet cable to connect to the Internet on your Mac, share your connection using Wi-Fi.
- Check the box to the left of Internet Sharing in the list to enable sharing of your internet connection between your Mac and Xbox One. A green icon will appear if successful.
- Open the VPN software on your Mac and connect to the server you chose.
- Test the internet connection on your Xbox One – if you have followed the steps correctly, you must now use a VPN on your Xbox One.
Now you are connected to VPN.