Get more packing extension features than clowns in clown cars!
Google Meet is the right place to hold video meetings. All you need to start a meeting is a Google account – which most people already have, and if not, it only takes a minute to get it – and you’re fine. You don’t even need to download a desktop apps to enjoy all its features.
But the problem is, it also doesn’t have many features from its competitors. Now, the fact that it works on a browser and not a special desktop application gives it another advantage. Third-party developers can create browser extensions to add support for features that don’t inherently exist. One of the must-have extensions for Google Meet users is the ‘Google Meet Plus’ extension.
Google Meet Plus is basically a collection of features that are all packaged in one extension. This will truly turn your meeting into a fun interactive session.
How to Install the Google Meet Plus Extension
To install Google Meet Plus, open the Chrome Web Store. Search for it, or you can click here to mosey there. Once there, click the ‘Add to Chrome’ button.
A confirmation dialog box from Chrome will appear. Click ‘Add Extension’ to confirm installation.
The extension icon will appear in your browser’s address bar, ready to be used for the next Google Meet meeting. If you install extensions during an ongoing meeting, you must reload the page and rejoin the meeting to be able to use it.
Use the Google Meet Plus Chrome Extension
The Google Meet Plus extension has beautiful features, many of which are free, and the rest, you can buy for a monthly subscription. But to use the extension fully, other participants in the meeting must also install it as most extension features that involve interaction with other participants in the meeting and make the interaction enjoyable.
But they can’t see that interaction without the extension installed in their browser. Now, you can ask other participants to install it, and whether they want to or not is up to them.
Now, if you are an organization admin, you have the option to make sure everyone uses the extension rather than politely asking them. G Suite admins can force installing any extension in the accounts of other organization members. And because only G Suite admins can do it, that means if you use Google Meet up with a free account, this option is not available for you.
Google Meet Plus Basic features
After you install the Google Meet Plus extension, the extension toolbar will appear in the meeting. Let’s start with the basics. You can drag and park it anywhere in a meeting – even in the middle of the screen. Click the icon to ‘move the pointer’ at the right end of the toolbar to drag the toolbar.
You can even reduce it to the meeting toolbar to get it completely out of the way. The ‘minimize’ button is next to the step pointer – the penultimate icon on the right.
Click to zoom out, and additional icons for GMP will appear in the meeting toolbar. Click on it to materialize the extension toolbar again.
The icon for GMP is added to the meeting toolbar.
P.S. The background color has been changed using other GMP features.
You can use all the basic features of the extension for free and there are so many!
Google Meet Plus Settings
This is one of the functional features that GMP has to offer, e.g., It is not present just to make your meeting more enjoyable, so it deserves its own place in the list. And this feature works the way you want it, so even though no one else in the meeting has the GMP extension, you can still enjoy it. Click the ‘Settings’ icon on the toolbar to expand the settings options for GMP.
The Settings icon expands the settings menu for GMP.
- Standard Camera and Microphone Settings: Using this, you can configure your microphone and camera to be inactive when you enter a meeting. Click on the checkboxes with the ‘Microphone off on entry’ and ‘Camera off on entry’ options to activate it.
- Language Settings: You can change the extension’s language from here. Click on one of the languages available to change to that language. At present, GMP supports English, Italian, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Chinese and Japanese.
- Background Color: Change the default Google Meet background by selecting a color from the ‘Select Background Color’ option.
- Push to Talk: Click on the check box next to ‘Press / Tap the Space Bar for Talk’ and you can then press the space bar button to mute yourself in Google Meet. Also, press and hold to mute yourself and talk, and release the button to return you to mute.
- Buzz GMP users: If you want to get the attention of other participants who also have GMP installed, select their name and click the ‘Buzz’ button and their entire screen will vibrate strongly. There’s no way it doesn’t interest them!
- DND Mode: Activate ‘Do Not Disturb’ and you will not receive any notifications during the meeting.
Other Basic Features
Apart from the configurable settings options, GMP offers many other basic features that are mostly there to make your interactions more enjoyable.
The icon to the left of the settings icon is for the GMP Free feature.
- Emoji reactions: GMP offers many emojis that you can send during a meeting to express your emotions and other GMP users will be able to see them. It also offers an additional mode – Vanilla Mode – where you can send emojis without accompanying text.
- Messenger: GMP has a built-in messenger that you can use to send private messages to individuals or a small group of participants, or you can broadcast that message to everyone. But, only other GMP users in the meeting can see your message.
- Mute / Mute Meeting: You can mute / mute the entire audio of the meeting using the GMP mute button. And if someone else has muted the meeting, you can also ask them to cancel it.
- Meeting Timer: As the name suggests, you can start the meeting timer in a meeting and all other GMP users can see it. Perfect for when you are doing a time-sensitive quiz or debate.
- User Status: You can determine your status from the extension toolbar. It offers two preset statuses, Active and Remote, and the user can also set special status. Other GMP users in meetings get notified when someone changes their status. So, you can tell others whether you will stay away from the system without interrupting the meeting. You can also see the status of other users from the ‘Eyes’ icon.
- Link Sharing: You can share any link, or picture, with other GMP users using the link sharing feature during an ongoing meeting.
- Trivia / Quiz: This feature allows you to engage in fun quizzes with other GMP users in meetings. It has two modes – Vanilla mode (simple quiz where you get points for correct answers), and Bamboozling Trivia mode (where you have to fool others with wrong answers and the more people who fall on your false answers, the more points you get).
In addition, GMP free users can also see all actions taken by GMP Pro users, and that includes Pro features as well. So, if GMP Pro users start a Whiteboard session using GMP Pro in a meeting, all GMP free users can see it.
Google Meet Plus Pro features
GMP also offers subscription-based services for Pro features that cost $ 4.39 / month for one license and have different plans for up to 10 licenses. It also offers a free 3 day trial when you buy a subscription so you can try all the features before deciding if it is for you. There are a number of features that make the cost to subscribe worth while.
The feature to the right of the ‘Settings’ icon is included with the Pro subscription.
- Collaborative Whiteboard: You can start the whiteboard in meetings and collaborate with other GMP Pro users in meetings in real time. While GMP free users can see the whiteboard directly, they cannot draw or collaborate on it. You can also save images as images if you want.
- Instant Polling: You can create and do instant polls with other meeting participants. Polls can even be anonymous, and you can save, download, import, or just see the results.
- Special Quiz: If you are a GMP Pro user, along with free quizzes that you can do with free GMP, you can create and do your own quiz in real time with other GMP users. The results can be private or can be seen by everyone in a meeting, anonymously, or by name, and the results can be stored on your computer so the results are available even after the meeting. This is the perfect tool for teachers.
- Sticky Notes: During a meeting, you can note important points on sticky notes. Notes are automatically saved to your computer, and you can even share them with other meeting participants.
- Personalized Avatar: Google Meet shows the same photo from your Google account, and there is no way to change it only for Google Meet – unless you are a GMP Pro user. You can change your Google Meet avatar with whatever image you want. You can even have animated images. How cool is that!
- Inspirational Quotes: Inspirational quotes are sent automatically to you every time you join a meeting that you can share with others in the meeting. You can even share more than one quote in a meeting. So keep going, keep motivating everyone!
Share YouTube Videos and React: You can share YouTube videos in real time by simply copying links, e.g., No need to share your screen too. Watch videos at the same time as your friends, and also use lots of videos and audio to react to what you watch.
- Bravo Badges & Fireworks: Someone in a meeting just does a very good job? Tell them to use Bravo badges and fireworks and improve their morale so they can continue to do it!
There are many extensions for Google Meet, but none of them offer features like this. If you often have meetings on Google Meet and are looking for something to enhance the experience, you should try it.